Monday, September 3, 2012

Update on Bonnie Blue

Yesterday I was chastised by my niece Susie Sanders at a family birthday party. When Susie takes that tone-- "RITA"  I know something is coming down.  It seems she had posted my blog to her friends and I let her down by not continuing to  post  I would like to say it was writer block or intellectual hiatus, but I hate to lie.
I just chicken out.
So now with the push from Susie and the technical help from my daughter, Santha. Besides my other daughter, Dorian. is the official photographer for the Bonnie Blue Blog. I'm in.

Dr Rogers the vet came the day after we got Bonnie and tested her for Coggins disease, vacated her and floated her teeth.  Floating horses teeth is a procedure to file down any spurs that may have developed in her teeth. He said for the condition we found her in she was in good shape and was a pure blooded Arabian  He said the abuse probably came about from putting her in an overcrowded pasture with other aggressive horses.  Hence the broken ribs ( the knots on her side are  the result of the ribs healing.)

We had been told that Bonnie Blue was 2 years old and Robin knowing that horses can live 30 to 50 years was wondering who was going to hold the horse when they scatter our ashes at Breezy Point.  After looking at her teeth, Dr. Rogers proclaimed Bonnie Blue to be about 9 years old. At this point my husband gave a sigh of relief which was short lived because the next thing Dr. Rogers said was, "I'll come back this winter and give her a pregnancy test." Robin gasp "Pregnancy test?" to which Dr Rogers said, "You don't know where this horse has been."

Two weeks later the Coggins test came back negative so if we are so inclined we can have another horse.  Two is always better than one. RIGHT!

We have a acre and a half pecan orchard  next to the paddock.  You would think that this bucolic setting would be ideal for a grazing chestnut Arabian. Well Robin, Tevi, (a friend) and yours truly started fixing the fence around the orchard. That is not an easy job-but she is my horse.  After fence work we put an electric wire in.  The first week we had the best looking pasture ornament in the area.  Unfortunately  Bonnie must have  rubbed up against the fence and gotten zapped. Now  she will not stay in the orchard with out a protector ( that being Robin or me). I would  lead her to the orchard and when I got to the gate unhooked the lead to open the gate.  Before I got the gate open she was back in her stall looking at me.

At this time we are going out to the orchard and having our coffee and just hanging around until Bonnie Blue has had pasture time

At this point Bonnie Blue has gains about 90 pounds and still need to gain another 110. Oh, what a problem to have.

Thank you Susie, Santha and Dorian for your support in this project

3 comments:

  1. So glad you rescued Bonnie and that you are sharing your journey with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who got the better deal. Bonnie Blue or y'all. Glad she is doing well and glad y'all are enjoying her so much.

    ReplyDelete